Tuesday 6 April 2010

Surprise Post

The Posta lady came to the door today with a package I wasn't expecting. Well, not entirely true, I was expecting it but not today. Last time I checked the order it was still "processing". Anyway, to cut a long story short (too late!) I got 3 varieties of hops delivered. Not the flowers but the actual plants. More digging tomorrow then.

Hops seem to belong to a large class of plants where the root system is so complex that botanists seem to have given up and called them Rhizomes. Others in this group are rhubarb and ginger.

The new apple trees seem to be in a rush as they are sprouting new leaves almost daily while the older ones are barely waking up. The quince trees are looking good and my hedgerow no longer looks like an eccentric stick collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment