Saturday 14 August 2010

Long break

Bit of a long break, first I was ill for a week then the PC kept crashing because of the heat and then I got Bloggers block.

I can't remember all the things I did since June but I did have a go at making Pickled Walnuts. You have to pick the walnuts while they are still green and the shell hasn't started to harden inside the fruit. (Walnuts look very much like apples when they start off and its the pulpy fruit we're trying to preserve by pickling)

They need to be soaked in a strong brine solution for 2 weeks, the brine being changed once. Not sure why but since the plate I used is now stained black, theres probably a good reason!

They need to be stored for about 3 months before they are ready to eat.

I noticed this with the piccalilli I made last year is that the first 2 I used were quite ferocious but after 3 months the vinegar had calmed down a lot so pickles do need to mature before eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment