Thursday 4 August 2011

Rain

Rained all day today so time for house jobs as I can't get any gardening done.


I lit the fire and then went through a cycle of chopping wood, washing dishes and filling the stockpot with water. It was a bit of a losing battle so in the afternoon I just chopped wood so the next session I can just concentrate on the dishes and not having to relight the fire after running out of wood!

I also checked on the pear tree. Yesterday, or the day before, I harvested as many pears as I felt it safe to do. The ground was covered in pulpy pears and the pears were covered in drunk, aggressive wasps. The was even some wasp that looked at least an inch long. (Hornet maybe) Anyway, I thought it best to get the rest when its raining on the off chance there'd be less wasps.

A terrible crop to be honest. Before the rain started the other week, the pears were quite tart and small. By the time we had decent weather I just seem to have about an inch of pulpy pear mush around the tree. Next year I'll have to note the blogs so I got get the pears in regardless of the weather.

Effectively this is my 1st year with the pears as nothing at all grew last year.

I had a word with Steve about his wine press. This year I have what I consider industrial quantities of apples so I need a different approach to extracting juice.

No comments:

Post a Comment