Tuesday 10 November 2009

Shopping

Today I decided it was high time to go to Körmend and do some shopping.

When the alarm went off this morning , almost the 1st song I heard was Dunarol by Nox. So after 4 months here thats the 1st time I heard a Hungarian song that I actually know.

The forecast was for light rain finishing about 2pm. Should have take that as a warning and not gone. The rain wasn't too bad going in but during the half hour I had to wait for a bus coming back the sky emptied, mostly straight into my shopping-bag.

I got a couple of cucumbers and caulis to have another crack at Piccalilli. Seems the only way I can enjoy cauli is by boiling it in vinegar. I got some icing sugar too so I can have a crack at making walnut cake with the walnuts i got out of the garden.

When I left the shop some woman wanted to have my cart rather than put the money in the handle herself. The coin looked kosher so I said OK and gave her the cart. Funny enough, she called the cart "kocsi" which is also a slang name for a car. It sounds like "coach-ee" which shouldn't be too surprising as "coach" is one of the few Hungarian words to make it into the English language. Kocs being the place where the 1st coach was made.

I then went to the ironmongers on the square to get some rubber gloves.

I had managed to ruin the left hand glove on the last pair with a knife. Not sure how I did it but my thumb felt all wet and when I pulled it out the water there was a long straight edged gash along the thumb. I immediately thought that this was one of those horrible cuts with a blade so sharp it doesn't hurt yet. Thankfully I wasn't squirting blood everywhere, it was just the glove.

I went into the shop and promptly forgot what 'glove' was in Hungarian. I pantomimed it until the shop assistant guessed, at which point I could tell he was panicking on how to ask me stuff if I couldn't even say glove!

I said they were "for me" and after I tried on a pair I told him "that's all". All in Hungarian so he didn't have to do any miming himself.

Waited 30 minuted in the rain but the bus that came had a sign to some polysyllabic place I'd never heard of. Still, another bus pulled in behind so this one must be... Nope, it's going somewhere else again. Hmmm, looks like a disaster brewing up. No, a third pulls up with no sign at all to where its going. Having read several similar scripts I just KNOW this one is gonna be mine (and so it proves when I get on).

Stood almost all the way as it was so packed but I was grateful to be out the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment