Sunday 23 May 2010

Sunday

Today was a bit odd. Woke up at 10am in spite of setting the alarm for 6! Since I didn't have a drink the night before I couldn't blame that.

Did about an hour in the sun and managed to clear all the grass. I now have a small collection of haystacks.

Went in for a shower when Hobo turned up with some paprika plants and a free tomato plant. He's dead set on me having Hungarian tomatoes even though most of mine ARE hungarian. (I bought a pack of seeds some years ago and have been happily growing them in the UK)

He said he'd dig them in tomorrow and I said there'd be no need and showed him the Rotavator in the garage. Well, that was it! He was all fired up to give it a go and went and scrounged some petrol from some neighbours and filled her up. I gave him the handbook to read as, being in Hungarian, it was of little use to me.

He worked out which switches and levers to turn and gave the starter rope a pull and off he went at speed! He quickly throttled back though and gave it a turn through the area of ground he'd picked out for the paprika.

As I understand it, the previous owner had some raised beds there and, as a result, the soil was very fertile.

The Rotavator, unfortunately, just ripped the grass up by the roots and got jammed.

The plants cost 1500HUF but I didn't have any small change. So off to the pub to get some change and have a quiet beer which turned into one of Steve's famous sessions. Hobo kept asking me if 10am tomorrow was OK for digging but I doubt I'll see him given the state he was in!

1 comment:

  1. Fun and games with the rotavator then.

    At least you're getting things done and by the sounds of it enjoying it too.

    I've nominated you for an award if you'd like to pop over to my blog and collect it I'd be grateful.

    Happy blogging

    Suzy

    ReplyDelete