Thursday 11 February 2010

Mosógép Day

At long last my washing machine came!

Its a bit of a minor triumph. I barely speak the language yet I managed to navigate through a website, order and pay for the machine and get it delivered. I got an Electrolux since thats a brand I've heard of so there may well be an instruction manual in English. The last machine was German and I'll be buggered if I'm gonna learn another language for a washing machine!

Took about an hour to unplumb the old machine and plumb the new one in. Gave it a test drive on empty to make sure none of the pipes leaked then gave it a full load! As the its snowing quite heavily, I'm shelving moving the old one for today. Might do it tomorrow.

Now I can catch up on the backlog and then attack the floor, which has been buried for weeks!

Mosógép, if you haven't guessed, is Hungarian for "washing machine". Its a good example of how clever the language is. "Mos" is a verb, meaning "to wash" (its a bit more complicated than that as the infinitive is "mosni" but this is close enough). Now "-ó" is a suffix that converts a verb into a noun, so "mosó" is "something that washes". Finally "gép" is "machine" so "mosógép" is "machine that washes" or "washing machine".

Another example, more relevant to me, is "ás" which is "dig". So a spade would be?... Yup, put an -ó on the end and we get "ásó". Clever, isn't it?

Its a big help as it means I don't have an endless list of words to learn. For example, I wanted a trowel in a shop and although I didn't know the word, or indeed shovel, I said "kisásó" and they instantly knew what I wanted.

Oh yes, we had more snow and the bottom step up to the front door disappeared.
Snow in Halogy

Went to the pub and Steve had one of his sessions. Very slippery on the way home. I skidded about a bit but Steve took a tumble near the church. I couldn't help him up or we'd both end up scrabbling about on the floor. I made sure he got home alright and he seemed to have got over it by the time I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment