Friday 11 September 2009

Kalium

Went to the shop early and got 2 loaves of bread to last the weekend. i always seem to run out Sunday. While I was there discovered some "Kalium diszulfit". Now Kalium is the Latin name which is used to give the chemical symbol for Potassium (K). So this was in fact Potassium DiSuplhite, which is an acceptable substitute for Camden tablets. Here, home brewing isn't a hobby for the slightly odd but something virtually every household indulges in.

Won't be using it so much this year, as the fruit season is well nigh finished but will be using next year when I hop to be producing a lot more Cider... or vinegar... or chucking dirty water away.

I've also found a supplier of apple trees which, while a bit more expensive than the local ones, has the advantage of being able to pick the characteristics of the fruit I want and in this case I'd like more sour ones. I'll order some for October and plant 3 near the ones I have.

Next year I also hope to have a beehive and bees to help with the pollination.

Scytyhed 2 more rows before getting ready for my weekly trip to Kormend. I've now roughly hacked out a box shape which I hope to clear this weekend. I also gave the Knotweed another squirt for luck.

scythe1
As with all the best English blogs in Halogy, heres my scythe.

Was very tempted in Kormend to get a bottle of Port but decided to get a bottle of wine instead!

No comments:

Post a Comment