Tuesday 22 September 2009

Stock

Finished the chicken stock off today.

You're supposed to simmer it for about 4 hours but at ten O'clock last night that wasn't going to happen. So. supposing that the 2 hours simmering had pretty much sterilised the contents and the pan I put then in the fridge and cranked it on full blast Not straight away, otherwise I'd be cleaning broken glass and stock out of the fridge at midnight. Not good.

I fished the more bulky stuff out with a slotted spoon and strained the rest though muslin cloth. I then reduced it by 2/3rds and filled some ice cube bags with it and froze them. Some of the bags burst so I think it might be worth investing in some ice cube racks instead. Enough for 2 or 3 litres.

Threw the bones away. No this is where having pigs would be useful as I'd simply shred the carcasses and give them to the pigs. At the moment, all I can do isjust throw them away. Seems a waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment