Thursday 30 July 2009

Thursday, or is it Friday?

Woke up with a thumping headache due to misjudging the strength of the bottled beer. Still, had to soldier on. Unlike everone else here I have the option staying in bed all day. Not good.

Steve had given me some Strawberry plants so I needed to plant them ASAP before they dried up. Now, I've earmarked a plot of land for all my fruit plant, off to one side of the orchard. (Sounds grand doesn't it, orchard. Only 3 trees though!)

So dug up some of the turf to one side after clearing it with the scythe. (You know, its actually easier scything than using a strimmer?) Underneath was a cornucopia of sand, builders rubble and pebbles. Not really ideal for fruit. In fact the only thing, apart from grass, that would thrive on this type of "soil" would be Japanese Knotweed and I have quite enough of that, thank you very much.

I dug another experimental hole and much the same. So I went to the plot I started, marked off a path, and then dug up a plot for the strawberries, I then dibbed a 3*3 square of holes and shoved the plants in and watered thoroughly.

I checked on my main plot and the plants are about 3" tall already :)

This took about an hour and the usual symptoms, blowing like a whale, sweat pouring off my hat brim like a monsoon and jeans wet through. I did mention it gets hot here, did I? As an example; they had the gritter out the other day, not because of snow but because the tarmac was melting! :-O

I contacted my bank re: certificated bank balance and stuff. I need a certificated statement of my savings in order to apply for residency. As I don't have a job I have to have the equivalent amount of a years earnings in savings.

No comments:

Post a Comment