Friday 31 July 2009

Friday

Got woken up at 8 by a knock on the door. Bit of a palaver trying to dress and run at the same time!

After breakfast went to water my plot. We haven't had rain for over a week so I'm following the local custom of watering every two days. I just hope I'm putting enough in.

One of my neighbours turned up and asked me what the plant were. I said they were beans and she pointed out in her garden she was growing beans too. I thought I recognised the flowers, they are planted up against the fence which supports it. Me, on the other hand, has used the UK method of using a bamboo structure.

She did say it was pretty but not sure if she meant "good idea" or "pretty but crazy". Gave the strawberries another soaking as they looked a bit sorry for themselves.

Did a bit of light hoeing and tried to convert the rather lumpy surface into a finer tilth.

Lunchtime I went into Kömend to get some supplies for the weekend. Got a chicken and some cheese. I must say that the Hungarians, whatever other culinary expertise they have, dont do cheese. Imagine the most tasteless cheese slice you can get in Tescos and they're all like that. Coincidently, cheese in Hungarian is "sájt" pronounced "shyte"

Körmend is like the big city compared to where I'm living but is less than a tenth the size of Caerphilly. Went to Lidls as I'm trying to visit each supermarket to see if they offer different ranges. I found they had a better range of meat than Tescos so I'll probably be coming here. They also had bacon that looked like bacon. (Over here that sort is called Angolbacon or English bacon. The normal stuff we'd call streaky bacon) I got several packs and the rest I'll put in the freezer.

On the way back I realised I didn't have any washing up gloves and while pantomiming what I wanted I learned several new words.

I'll do some close ups of the plants tomorrow as a sort of picture diary thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment